Monday, March 23, 2009

Chickens!

Growing up at the ranch, we started raising chickens (and the occasional duck and turkey) for 4-H. Andy and I did pretty well...I think we had reserve champion turkey at the state fair one year, even! My dad became pretty accustomed to having "bockers" around up at the barn. Andy and I moved out about the same time as our chickens also passed away or got eaten by darn varmints around the ranch. The White Buffalo Ranch was chicken-less for a few years...until 2008, when my dad decided he wanted some more bockers. I think he missed his pets, and we all missed farm-fresh eggs. (They are the best eggs, ever!) So, mom ordered him some chicks from McMurry's Hatchery...yes, you can order chickens online! They ordered 26 chickens, and a year later, are down to 4. Chickens at the ranch don't have very good odds! Dad did get 4 eggs from them the other day, so at least they're producing! Mom ordered him 25 more chickens this year. They should be here in May. I hope they have better luck this year!

So, Cody and I walked into Feldman's on Saturday to get a few things. We walked out with horse feed, grease for the tractor, and 6 baby chicks! That's right...now Cody and I are in the egg business, too! Well, they probably won't lay eggs for another six months or so, but so far, they're doing great! We purchased two Black Australorps, two Rhode Island Reds, and two Araucanas. The Australorps and the Reds will lay brown eggs, and the Araucanas will lay bluish-green colored eggs.

I'm very excited to have my own bockers!

Let me know if you want any farm-fresh eggs in a few months!








Black Australorps














Rhode Island Reds


















Araucanas





No comments: